Skip to main content

So many people I talk to don’t seem to understand how the decision by the FAA to direct low flying plane over our community will affect their health and their property values.


Last week I had a conversation with a neighbor about all the airplanes flying over our community. The gentleman stated that he intended to sell his home and move to Florida. He expressed little interest in making phone calls and writing letters to politicians for assistance. I informed him that his ability to sell his home and the price he would receive would be negatively affected by aircraft noise. So many people I talk to don’t seem to understand how the decision by the FAA to direct low flying plane over our community will affect their health and their property values. Take a look at this article.

The Impact of Airport Noise on Residential Real Estate


by Randall Bell, MAI
“As populations and airports expand, airport noise is an increasingly important issue for real estate analysts. In researching real estate damage issues, the topic of airport noise and its impact on property market values are particularly well-documented and well-researched areas. This article puts airport noise into the framework of the Detrimental Conditions (DC) Matrix, outlines the measurement of “noise,” sets forth some of the health effects of airport noise, and addresses the impact that airport noise has on property market values. There are dozens of published studies on the topic, all of which virtually come to the conclusion that homes under or nearby the flight corridors of national or inter- national airports experience some diminution in property market values.”

Comments

Popular Posts

What is NoiseQuest?

NoiseQuest is your source for information on aviation and airport noise. Our goal is to improve the relationship between airports and their surrounding communities. Where Does the information on NoiseQuest come from? Government documents News articles Research journals Aviation practices Mission statement This website was developed to provide educational information on aviation noise. The initial site development was supported by the Federal Aviation Administration through the PARTNER Center of Excellence under grants to researchers at The Pennsylvania State University and Purdue University. The ongoing development and enhancement of the NoiseQuest site is supported by the Federal Aviation Administration through the ASCENT Center of Excellence under grants to researchers at The Pennsylvania State University. Any opinions, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Fed...

Political action

-  Congressman Raskin And Others Request GAO Study Of Noise Impacts From NextGen, June 19, 2019 Rep. Jamie Raskin yesterday joined 28 other Members of Congress in requesting that the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) investigate "how the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has considered community noise impacts while implementing the Next Generation Air Transportation System (NextGen) in major metropolitan areas," including the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.   <iframe width="425" height="300" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/embed/mapframe?state=md&district=5&bounds= -78.071,39.843,-75.454,37.105 "></iframe>

South Side Project

 Southside Express Lanes (South Side project) Virginia VDOT wants to add two new high-occupancy toll (HOT) lanes in each direction along an 11-mile stretch of I-495 between I-395 in Fairfax County and Maryland Route 210 in Prince George’s County, crossing the Woodrow Wilson Bridge – Greater greater Washington, Spending money to go nowhere: Southside Express Lanes should be a Metro extension,  David Edmondson (Contributor) August 20, 2025  I am against the "Southside Project," I live in Accokeek, Maryland. My home is 17 miles south on Indian Head Highway (210). I have lived in Accokeek, Maryland, since 2003. I am now retired. Before I retired, I worked in Fairfax Virginia, and commuted from Accokeek to Fairfax five days a week. I have spent a lot of time on Indian Head Highway and the beltway trying to get to work. I have come to know the traffic patterns well.  “You don’t have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind is blowing.” I don’t have to be a traffic exp...