Skip to main content

The FAA routes 70,000 aircraft over Accokeek every year. So many of us don’t seem to realize the jet exhaust is affecting our health.

The FAA routes 70,000 aircraft over Accokeek every year. So many of us don’t seem to realize the jet exhaust is affecting our health. Read the following article. 
Pollution from aviation emissions has significant health impacts 
A new study by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has estimated that long term exposure to aviation related ozone and fine particulates (specifically PM2.5, the smallest particles) contributes to 16,000 premature deaths a year worldwide, costing an estimated $21 billion a year. 
The study considered the health impact of near airport, regional and global emissions, estimating that ‘cruise altitude’ emissions were the most significant contributor to health impacts world-wide. However, emissions from the landing and take off aircraft cycle, were found to have significant pollution related health impacts for communities living closest to airports, contributing to 49% of the premature deaths associated with aircraft emissions in Europe. 

Comments

Popular Posts

What is NoiseQuest?

NoiseQuest is your source for information on aviation and airport noise. Our goal is to improve the relationship between airports and their surrounding communities. Where Does the information on NoiseQuest come from? Government documents News articles Research journals Aviation practices Mission statement This website was developed to provide educational information on aviation noise. The initial site development was supported by the Federal Aviation Administration through the PARTNER Center of Excellence under grants to researchers at The Pennsylvania State University and Purdue University. The ongoing development and enhancement of the NoiseQuest site is supported by the Federal Aviation Administration through the ASCENT Center of Excellence under grants to researchers at The Pennsylvania State University. Any opinions, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Fed...

Political action

-  Congressman Raskin And Others Request GAO Study Of Noise Impacts From NextGen, June 19, 2019 Rep. Jamie Raskin yesterday joined 28 other Members of Congress in requesting that the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) investigate "how the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has considered community noise impacts while implementing the Next Generation Air Transportation System (NextGen) in major metropolitan areas," including the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.   <iframe width="425" height="300" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/embed/mapframe?state=md&district=5&bounds= -78.071,39.843,-75.454,37.105 "></iframe>

So many people I talk to don’t seem to understand how the decision by the FAA to direct low flying plane over our community will affect their health and their property values.

Last week I had a conversation with a neighbor about all the airplanes flying over our community. The gentleman stated that he intended to sell his home and move to Florida. He expressed little interest in making phone calls and writing letters to politicians for assistance. I informed him that his ability to sell his home and the price he would receive would be negatively affected by aircraft noise. So many people I talk to don’t seem to understand how the decision by the FAA to direct low flying plane over our community will affect their health and their property values. Take a look at this article. The Impact of Airport Noise on Residential Real Estate https://nqsc.org/downloads/REALESTATE.pdf by Randall Bell, MAI “As populations and airports expand, airport noise is an increasingly important issue for real estate analysts. In researching real estate damage issues, the topic of airport noise and its impact on property market values are particularly well-documented an...

South Side Project

 Southside Express Lanes (South Side project) Virginia VDOT wants to add two new high-occupancy toll (HOT) lanes in each direction along an 11-mile stretch of I-495 between I-395 in Fairfax County and Maryland Route 210 in Prince George’s County, crossing the Woodrow Wilson Bridge – Greater greater Washington, Spending money to go nowhere: Southside Express Lanes should be a Metro extension,  David Edmondson (Contributor) August 20, 2025  I am against the "Southside Project," I live in Accokeek, Maryland. My home is 17 miles south on Indian Head Highway (210). I have lived in Accokeek, Maryland, since 2003. I am now retired. Before I retired, I worked in Fairfax Virginia, and commuted from Accokeek to Fairfax five days a week. I have spent a lot of time on Indian Head Highway and the beltway trying to get to work. I have come to know the traffic patterns well.  “You don’t have to be a weatherman to know which way the wind is blowing.” I don’t have to be a traffic exp...